Urgent Care Closures: Patient safety is our number one priority. The following urgent cares are closed as we consolidate our staff to better accommodate our patients. Click here for details.
COVID-19 Information and Updates
CareMount is now offering the COVID-19 vaccination for ages 5+ and the booster dose for individuals 12 and older. Read more or schedule online.
Drive-Thru COVID-19 RNA (nasal swab) testing: Read more or schedule online.
For everyone’s safety and per CDC guidelines it is MANDATORY TO KEEP YOUR MASK ON AT ALL TIMES in our offices EVEN IF FULLY VACCINATED.
For other alerts, click here.
Dr. Motola is a Harvard-trained gastroenterologist and hepatologist with 12 years of expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of digestive diseases. He has special expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and chronic liver diseases. He also cares for patients with a broad array of many other digestive conditions, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), celiac disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease, swallowing disorders, and much more. He performs endoscopy, colonoscopy, wireless capsule endoscopy, and colon cancer screening.
Dr. Motola pursued a clinical career in gastroenterology and hepatology after several years in biomedical research so that he could make the greatest and most immediate impact in the lives of others. His basic science and research training provides him insight into the latest breakthrough treatments and informs him on how best to apply them to achieve optimal outcomes for his patients.
Dr. Motola incorporates shared decision making in his treatment plans by providing patients with important medical information in an understandable way. “Active listening is critical in my line of work,” he says. “As I work to build a healthy doctor-patient relationship, I strive to understand their fears and concerns so I can help them leave my office feeling hopeful.”
Dr. Motola was voted a Top Doctor in 2021 by New York Magazine and Castle Connolly.
Dr. Motola is a self-proclaimed foodie. He enjoys pottery, playing video games, watching movies, and being outdoors hiking, fishing, and kayaking with his family.
New York Magazine Best Doctors Award: 2021
Undergraduate & Graduate
Brandeis University: 2000
UT Southwestern Medical Center: 2008
Medical Degree & PhD in Biochemistry and Pharmacology
The Mount Sinai Hospital: 2009
The Mount Sinai Hospital: 2010
Massachusetts General Hospital-Harvard Medical School: 2015
The Mount Sinai Hospital: 2016
Northern Westchester Hospital
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
American Gastroenterology Association (AGA)
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD)
• Chen, Jennifer Y; Newcomb, Benjamin; Zhou, Chan; Pondick, Joshua V; Ghoshal, Sarani; York, Samuel R; Motola, Daniel L; Coant, Nicolas; Yi, Jae Kyo; Mao, Cungui; Tanabe, Kenneth K; Bronova, Irina; Berdyshev, Evgeny V; Fuchs, Bryan C; Hannun, Yusuf; Chung, Raymond T; Mullen, Alan C Tricyclic Antidepressants Promote Ceramide Accumulation to Regulate Collagen Production in Human Hepatic Stellate Cells Scientific reports 2017 7 -44867
• Schaefer, Esperance A K; Meixiong, James; Mark, Christina; Deik, Amy; Motola, Daniel L; Fusco, Dahlene; Yang, Andrew; Brisac, Cynthia; Salloum, Shadi; Lin, Wenyu; Clish, Clary B; Peng, Lee F; Chung, Raymond T Apolipoprotein B100 is required for hepatitis C infectivity and Mipomersen inhibits hepatitis C World journal of gastroenterology: WJG 2016 22 9954 - 9965
• Zhou, Chan; York, Samuel R; Chen, Jennifer Y; Pondick, Joshua V; Motola, Daniel L; Chung, Raymond T; Mullen, Alan C Long noncoding RNAs expressed in human hepatic stellate cells form networks with extracellular matrix proteins Genome medicine 2016 8 -31
• Luther, Jay; Garber, John J; Khalili, Hamed; Dave, Maneesh; Bale, Shyam Sundhar; Jindal, Rohit; Motola, Daniel L; Luther, Sanjana; Bohr, Stefan; Jeoung, Soung Won; Deshpande, Vikram; Singh, Gurminder; Turner, Jerrold R; Yarmush, Martin L; Chung, Raymond T; Patel, Suraj J Hepatic Injury in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Contributes to Altered Intestinal Permeability Cellular & molecular gastroenterology & hepatology 2015 1 222 - 232
• Motola, Daniel L; Caravan, Peter; Chung, Raymond T; Fuchs, Bryan C Noninvasive Biomarkers of Liver Fibrosis: Clinical Applications and Future Directions Current pathobiology reports 2014 2 245 - 256
• Luther, Jay; King, Kevin R.; Garber, John; Masia, Ricard; Motola, Daniel L.; Yarmush, Martin L.; Chung, Raymond T.; Patel, Suraj J. Hepatic Gap Junction Inhibition Protects Against Liver Injury and Inflammation in a Murine Model of Alcoholic Steatohepatitis Hepatology 2014 60 779A - 780A
• Ding, Qiurong; Lee, Youn-Kyoung; Schaefer, Esperance A K; Peters, Derek T; Veres, Adrian; Kim, Kevin; Kuperwasser, Nicolas; Motola, Daniel L; Meissner, Torsten B; Hendriks, William T; Trevisan, Marta; Gupta, Rajat M; Moisan, Annie; Banks, Eric; Friesen, Max; Schinzel, Robert T; Xia, Fang; Tang, Alexander; Xia, Yulei; Figueroa, Emmanuel; Wann, Amy; Ahfeldt, Tim; Daheron, Laurence; Zhang, Feng; Rubin, Lee L; Peng, Lee F; Chung, Raymond T; Musunuru, Kiran; Cowan, Chad A A TALEN genome-editing system for generating human stem cell-based disease models Cell stem cell 2013 12 238 - 51
• Sanchez-Lara, Karla; Hernandez, Diego; Motola, Daniel; Green, Dan [Association between overweight, glucocorticoids and metabolic syndrome in cancer patients under chemotherapy] Nutricion hospitalaria 2013 28 182 - 7 Zhi, Xiaoyong; Zhou, X Edward; Melcher, Karsten; Motola, Daniel L; Gelmedin, Verena; Hawdon, John; Kliewer, Steven A; Mangelsdorf, David J; Xu, H Eric Structural conservation of ligand binding reveals a bile acid-like signaling pathway in nematodes Journal of biological chemistry 2012 287 4894 - 903
• Wollam, Joshua; Magomedova, Lilia; Magner, Daniel B; Shen, Yidong; Rottiers, Veerle; Motola, Daniel L; Mangelsdorf, David J; Cummins, Carolyn L; Antebi, Adam The Rieske oxygenase DAF-36 functions as a cholesterol 7-desaturase in steroidogenic pathways governing longevity Aging cell 2011 10 879 - 84
• Wang, Zhu; Zhou, X Edward; Motola, Daniel L; Gao, Xin; Suino-Powell, Kelly; Conneely, Aoife; Ogata, Craig; Sharma, Kamalesh K; Auchus, Richard J; Lok, James B; Hawdon, John M; Kliewer, Steven A; Xu, H Eric; Mangelsdorf, David J Identification of the nuclear receptor DAF-12 as a therapeutic target in parasitic nematodes Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) 2009 106 9138 - 43
• Sharma, Kamalesh K; Wang, Zhu; Motola, Daniel L; Cummins, Carolyn L; Mangelsdorf, David J; Auchus, Richard J Synthesis and activity of dafachronic acid ligands for the C. el elegans DAF-12 nuclear hormone receptor